3 May 2013

Sci/Why Parteeee!

By Claire Eamer

We usually celebrate science on this blog, but this week we decided to celebrate ourselves. Just a little bit.

Here, in their own words, are a few highlights from some of the Sci/Why bloggers and our fellow Canadian kids’ science writers over the last few months.

Helaine Becker:
  • My newest picture book, Little Jack Horner, Live from the Corner (Scholastic Canada), illustrated by the incredible Mike Boldt, came out in January. A sequel is in the works.
  • The Big Green Book of the Big Blue Sea (Kids Can Press) won the Outstanding Youth Book Award from the Canadian Science Writers’ Association and was longlisted for Information Book of the Year by the Vancouver Children's Roundtable.
  • Alphabest (Kids Can Press) has been shortlisted for Best Book Illustration for Dave Whamond’s glorious and hilarious artwork by the National (US) Cartoonists Society.
  • I’ll be presenting at the Kids Can Press 40th Anniversary party to be held on May 16th at the Forest of Reading Celebrations at Toronto's Harbourfront. Watch for wild squirrels and rampaging turtles at this not-to-be-missed partay!
  • Last but not least, the TV show I write, Dr. Greenie’s Mad Lab, has been renewed for a fourth season. I’ll be writing that this summer. You can see the trailer here.

Paula Johanson:
I've just defended my Master's thesis. While completing my MA, I also wrote four books:

Marie Powell
  • I was runner-up in the 2012 Lush Triumphant Literary Awards with my short story "Grid Lines," and the story was published in subTerrain magazine, Issue #63 (Winter).
  • My YA fantasy novel Hawk won a fully-funded Creator-in-Residence mentorship from CANSCAIP in January. 
  • I  also wrote six juvenile beginning readers for Red Line, which are scheduled for publication in September.

Lindsey Carmichael:

ABDO Publishing released two of my books this January:

Adrienne Mason:

Shar Levine:
I’ve been collecting award nominations this year (but no wins, I’m afraid), including:
  • The NSERC award for Science Promotion for the creation of Celebrate Science ( joint nomination with Jo-Anne Naslund)
  • The University of Alberta Alumni Honor Award, the Queen's Jubilee Medal ( joint nomination with Leslie Johnstone)
  • The Lieutenant Governor’s Award-BC-Community Involvement for science promotion (joint nomination with Leslie Johnstone)
  • The Knight Science Journalism Fellowship - Food Boot Camp

Kari-Lynn Winters
  • My book Buzz About Bees will be on the shelves in May. The publisher is Fitzhenry and Whiteside. This science book looks at the ways bees are disappearing worldwide and some of the things kids can do to advocate on behalf of the bees.

Claire Eamer


No comments: